The History of Vauxhall
History of Vauxhall Alexander Wilson founded the company Vauxhall, London in 1857. Originally named Alex Wilson and Company, then Vauxhall Iron Works, the company built pumps and marine engines. In 1903, the company built its first car, a five-horsepower model steered using a tiller, with two forward gears and no reverse gear. This led to a better design which was made available for sale. To expand, the company moved the majority of its production to Luton in 1905. The company continued to trade under the name Vauxhall Iron Works until 1907, when the modern name of Vauxhall Motors was adopted. The company was characterized by its sporting models, but after World War I the company's designs were more austere. Before GM Much of Vauxhall's success during the early years of Vauxhall Motors is thanks to a man called Laurence Pomeroy.
Pomeroy joined Vauxhall in 1906 as an assistant draughtsman, at the age of twenty-two. In the winter of 1907/8 the chief designer F.W. Hodges took a long holiday and in his absence the managing director Percy Kidner asked Pomeroy to design an engine for cars to be entered in the 1908 RAC and Scottish Reliability Trial, held in June of that year. The cars were so successful that Pomeroy took over from Hodges. His first design, the Y-Type Y1, had outstanding success at the 1908 RAC & Scottish 2000 Mile Reliability Trials showing excellent hill climbing ability with an aggregate of 37 seconds less time in the hill climbs than any other car in its class. With unparalleled speeds around the Brooklands circuit the Vauxhall was so far ahead of all other cars of any class that the driver could relax, accomplishing the 200miles (320km) at an average speed of 46mph (74km/h), when the car was capable of 55mph (89km/h). The Y-Type went on to win class E of the Trial. The Y-Type was so successful that it was decided to put the car into production as the A09 car. This spawned the legendary A-Type
Vauxhall. Four distinct types of this were produced between 27 October 1908 up to when mass production halted in 1914.
One last A-Type was put together in 1920. Capable of up to 100mph (160km/h) the A-Type Vauxhall was one of the most acclaimed 3 litre cars of its day. Two cars were entered in the 1910 Prince Henry Trials, and although not outright winners, performed well and replicas were made for sale officially as the C-type but now known as the Prince Henry. During World War I Vauxhall made large numbers of the D-type, a Prince Henry chassis with de-rated engine, for use as staff cars for the British forces. After the 1918 armistice, the D-type remained in production along with the sporting E-type. Pomeroy left in 1919, moving to the United States, and was replaced by C.E. King. In spite of making good cars, expensive pedigree cars of the kind that had served the company well in the prosperous pre-war years were no longer in demand: the company struggled to make a consistent profit and Vauxhall looked for a major strategic partner. For further history please go to the web site link below (History reference from Wilkipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Motors History of Bedford Bedford was a leading international truck manufacturer with substantial export sales of light medium and heavy trucks throughout the world.
It was GM Europe's most profitable venture for several years. Prior to 1925 General Motors assembled in Brazilian trucks manufactured at their Canadian works. This enabled them to import vehicles into Britain under Imperial Preference, which favoured products from the British Empire as far as import duties were concerned. Such trucks were marketed as "British Chevrolet". After GM took ownership of Vauxhall Motors production was transferred from Hendon to Luton, Vauxhall's headquarters, production commencing there in 1929. Bedford The AC and LQ Models were produced at Luton from 1929 to 1931, and styled as the "Chevrolet Bedford", taking the name from the county town of Bedfordshire, in which Luton is located. The AC was bodied as a light van (12cwt.) and the LQ in a wide variety of roles, including a lorry, ambulance, van and bus versions. The name "Chevrolet" was dropped and the first Bedford was produced in April 1931. This vehicle, a 2 ton lorry, was virtually indistinguishable from its LQ Chevrolet predecessor, apart from detail styling of the radiator, and was available as the WHG with a 10ft11in (3,300mm) wheelbase or as the WLG with a longer (13ft1in (4,000mm)) wheelbase. However, the Chevrolet LQ and AC continued in production alongside the new product for a further year. In August 1931 a bus chassis was added to the range and was designated WHB and WLB. A large part of Bedford's original success in breaking into the UK and British Empire markets lay in the OHV 6 cylinder Chevrolet engine, now known as Chevrolet Stove Bolt 6 well ahead of its time this smooth running inline 6 cylinder engine was to form the basis of Bedford and Vauxhall petrol engines almost until the marque ceased building trucks and buses. In April 1932 a 15cwt lorry was introduced, together with a 12 cwt light delivery van, designated as the WS and VYC models respectively. Bedford continued to develop its share of the light transport market with the introduction of the 8cwt ASYC and ASXC vans, a close derivative of the Vauxhall Light Six car.The AS series of vans continued in production until 1939. Bedford introduced the 3 ton WT series in November 1933. Again, a short wheelbase (9ft3in (2,800mm))WTH or long wheelbase (13ft1in (4,000mm)) WLG version was offered. A change in design of the WLG produced the WTL, with its cab, engine and radiator moved forward to allow 14ft (4.3m) length in the body. In 1935 the WTB bus version appeared and the WS and VYC models were updated the latter being redesignated BYC as it was fitted with the engine and synchromesh gearbox of the Big Six Vauxhall cars. The 5-6 cwt. HC light van was introduced in 1938, based on the Vauxhall Ten car, and the WT and WS acquired a newly styled grill. Mid 1939 saw a complete revamp of Bedfords, with only the HC van continuing in production. The new range consisted of the K (30-40cwt), MS and ML (2-3ton) OS and OL (3-4 ton)and the OS/40 and OL/40 (5 ton)series. Also on offer was a new 10-12 cwt van, the JC, derived from the new J Model Vauxhall car. Many of the trucks sold by Bedford between June and September 1939 were requisitioned for military use on the outbreak of World War II, many being abandoned after the retreat from Dunkirk, rendered useless to the enemy by removing the engine oil drain plug and running the engine. Because the German armed forces were in 1940 contrary to their popular image desperately short of motor transport many of these captured Bedfords were repaired and pressed into service alongside Opel Blitz (also part of GM) trucks by the German armed forces although the Bedfords were mainly filling second line roles including civil defense. Production of the new range ceased, apart from a few examples made for essential civilian duties, when Bedford went onto a war footing. Production resumed in 1945. For further history of Bedford please go to the web site link below. History reference (Wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Vehicles - History